I wish social media weren’t so cool.
There’s too much hype, too many buzzwords. It makes it seem like a gimmick, a fad, something that’s going to get played out.
And that’s really not fair because what’s happening is meaningful and real. It’s a movement, a mindset, a rejection of tradition. I hate to see social media reduced to a checklist of websites and cliches.
So what’s the difference between how social media is often presented and how I see it?
The superficial view of social media is that it is:
- A new channel for brand messages
- A way to go viral
- “Community Engagement”
- A customer service outlet
To me, social media is:
- An avenue for providing valuable information, entertainment or services
- An opportunity to multiply impressions on shareworthy content
- Connecting with many individuals in a true and compelling way
- A shift toward brands being more responsible to consumers
I believe in what I do, and I look forward to the day social media stops being cool and just starts being the way things are.